- Founded in 1974 by the YWCA of Metropolitan Denver, in cooperation with Gart Brothers Sporting Goods Co., Sportswomen of Colorado is recognized as the first community-based organization in the nation to solely honor female athletes, celebrate their achievements and recognize those whose efforts have advanced girls' and women's individual and team sports endeavors.
- 31 awards, plus a surprise "Sportswoman of the Year" tribute were presented at the inaugural 1975 banquet drawing 225 persons to the YWCA Cultural Center.
- Masters Sports awards were launched in 1979, the SWOC Hall of Fame made its debut at the 1982 banquet and the first wheelchair sports award was given at the 1983 banquet.
- In 1984, following the 10th anniversary banquet attended by a capacity Marriott Southeast Grand Ballroom crowd of 450, the SWOC organization became independent with the support of corporate and individual sponsors.
- A new SWOC girls' scholarship program, funding sports camp experiences for deserving girls, was initiated in the summer of 2001.